Do We Still Want God’s Mansions?

In my Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. – John 14:2

After God’s final judgement when believers are received into the new Heaven to be with Jesus are vizcaya-891844_640we to receive an actual mansion as the verse above may imply.  Perhaps not but I’ll wager we will receive so much more.  I wonder though recently as I examine the wealth of the top 1% around the world if they truly value God’s rewards waiting for us.

I admit I wish I had less to worry about as far as my finances go and I do desire to keep up with my peers in a few areas of material possession where I continue to fall further behind.  For this reason I struggled with accepting the following verse.  It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Mark 10:25.  I am not rich but if my desires to be as such were fulfilled and I acquired the wealth I seek, do I damage my chances of entering Heaven? Only if I let the riches govern me rather than me governing my riches.

If my every request were satisfied, if I never struggled, would I need God?  Obstacles serve to bring us into a closer relationship with God as we call unto him for help.  I’m not suggesting the rich don’t suffer but why does a wealthy man/woman feel compelled to bend a knee to God when all their earthly desires are continuously met?

This article lists the top 15 most expensive homes for sale in the U.S.  Number fifteen starts at $75 million and number one is nearly double that at $140 million!  Breeze through the article and you will see what many of these houses boast.  You are either perched in a massive apartment hundreds of feet in the air overlooking New York or else your massive mansion adorns the ocean and comes complete with several guest houses, infinity pool and perhaps an indoor movie theater.

If I had the wealth to purchase a fraction of what these properties offer would I still feel a need for God’s comfort?  Might I not slip further and further from him? If I could solve the majority of my problems with cash I wouldn’t feel the pull to pray.

Pablo Escobar was one of the wealthiest drug lords in history.  At one point he was responsible for 80% of the cocaine smuggled into the U.S.  According to Escobar’s accountant, Escobar’s cartel was bringing in $420 million a week.  They had so much cash hidden in various places that Escobar would lose around $2.1 billion every year to water damage or mice.  Can you imagine having so much money that you could allow two billion dollar to rot away every year!  What if instead of hiding the cash in run down warehouses as the accountant claims, the money was given to the homeless or starving? A man’s mind not set on God would rather see his money destroyed than in the hands of someone he felt undeserving.

And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only, in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you he shall in no wise lose his reward.  Matthew 10:42

According to this article the top 1% of the world’s earners will own more than 50% of the world’s wealth. So to clarify, at some point in 2016, the top 1% will have more wealth than the rest of the 99% combined!  Try cramming all of that through the pearly gates!

Wealth isn’t evil but if you allow it to fulfill all your flesh’s desires and you lose sight of God, you may end up somewhere for eternity where you truly wish a cold cup of water was offered to you.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s